NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro says the state was “robbed of a Christmas” last year because of the bushfires and he was “absolutely committed” it would not be robbed of a Christmas because of COVID-19.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian has announced New South Wales will see a further easing of restrictions on social gatherings and hospitality venues from December 1.
Under the changes, up to 50 people will be allowed to visit a household if an outdoor area is being utilised – otherwise visitor numbers will be capped at 30.
Outdoor public gatherings will also be increased from 30 people to 50.
For venues up to 200 square meters, the two-square metre rule will be applied indoors with no cap on the number of patrons.
“Today’s announcement about being able to have up to 50 people in your home, especially if you’ve got an outdoor area, really does mean families and friends can come together and celebrate what has really been a tough year,” he told Sky News.
“This Christmas, a lot of New South Wales citizens will just take the advantage, get out, celebrate, and feel hopefully that 2021 is going to be better.”